Prominent Dzongs in Bhutan
Jakar Yugyal Dzong, commonly known as Jakar Dzong, is situated on a ridge above the Jakar village of Chamkhar valley in Bhumtang.
There are different accounts of the origin of the Dzong. Some believe that the Dzong was built by Lam Ngagi Wang Chuk (1517 - 1554) who came to Bhutan to spread the teachings of the Drukpa Kagyupa Buddhism order. It is said that a white bird perched on where Jakar Dzong was situated. This is considered an auspicious sign. According to the oral legend, a .... Read More »
Paro Dzong is the administrative seat of the district of Paro. The Paro Dzong was built in 1644 under the order of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. Paro Dzong’s full name is Ringpung Dzong, which means ’the fortress of the heap of jewels." Gyelchock founded Paro Dzong. Gyelchock and his brother, Gyelzom, is descendant of Phajo Drugom Zhigpo, the founder of the Drukpa Kagyupa School in Bhutan. Gyelzom established the Gangtakha Monastery while Gyelchock travelled to Tibet to study th .... Read More »
Punakha Dzong was built in 1637 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel, the founder of Bhutanese state. It was originally named Puntang Dechen Phodrang Dzong which means the Palace of Great Bliss.
Punakha Dong was built on the 8th day and 8th month of the Fire ox year in 1673. The dzong was attacked by the Tibetan in 1639 and 1644. The attacks were successfully repelled by the defenders. To commemorate the victory, a New Year festival was introduced and Yu Gyal Gonkhang Chen Mo, "the great sh .... Read More »
Known as "fortress of the glorious religion", Tashichho Dzong, or popularly known as Thimphu Dzong, is an impressive structure that houses the Bhutanese government and stand on the right side of the Wangchu River (Thimphu).
The Dzong originated with the building of Dho-Ngon (Blue Stone) Dzong on a hill above Thimphu River where Dechenphodrang stands by Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa. On the 17th century, the followers of Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa were completely crush by Zhabdrung Ngawang N .... Read More »
The Trongsa Dzong literally means the Dzong on the tip of a Dungkhar (of the never changing country of Druk and the everlasting Dharm). Trongsa Dzong is situated overlooking the Mangdechhu River.
Trongsa Dzong was founded by Yingzin Ngagi Wangchuk, a descendant of Ngawang Chogyal and a revered follower of Kuenkhen Pema Karpo. In 1541, he meditated at the village of Yueli in Trongsa, a few kilometers from the present Dzong. During the meditation, he saw lighted butter lamp below the ridge .... Read More »
Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel was supposedly at Chimi Lhakhang in Punakha when he met a decrepit old man. He described a ridge in the present-day Wangdue Phodrang as a ’sleeping elephant’ and told Zhabdrung that he would unite the country by building a Dzong on the ’neck’ of the ridge. The Zhabdrung, surmising the old man to be Yeshey Gonpo (Mahakala), took his suggestion and sent forth a noble to study the area. As the emissary drew close to the area, he saw four raves ci .... Read More »
Located in the Phondey Village in Paro, the Dzong is built on the summit of a rocky hill that rises steep on three sides. The Dzong was built to guard the approach to Paro Valley from Tibet and is only accessible from one side, which is defended by 3 prominent towers.
Probably it was Tenzin Drukdra built the Dzong in 1649 at the behest of Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to commemorate victory over an invasion from Tibet. In the early 1950s Drukgyal Dzong was almost completely destroyed by fire .... Read More »
Strategically built on a projecting ridge with deep gullies, the Simtokha Dzong overlooks and commands the entire Thimphu Valley.
Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel was one of the greatest builders of Dzongs in Bhutan. To consolidate his newly acquired domain in western Bhutan and to defend himself from both the internal foes and external enemies he started constructing Dzongs, beginning with the Simtokha Dzongs.
The present place where the Dzongs stands is the boundary between common to thr .... Read More »
Taa Dzong (Ta = watch and Dzong = fortress) is located about five and a half kilometers from Tshondu Town and 500 feet from the Ringpung Dzong. It is built under the government of the the 2nd Desi, Ngoenpa Tenzin Dugda, in order to protect the Ringpung Dzong from the unceasing assaults from Tibet and India.
An underground passage is believed to connect the tower and Pachhu River. This is used to supply the tower with water during war. However, the passage has collapsed.
The Taa Dzon .... Read More »
The name Daga Dzong is derived from two sources; Darkala, which comes from the province’s guardian deity Jomo Darkala and Darkanang (The Realm of White Prayer Flags) from Dudjom Jigdrol Yeshey Dorji, a great Buddhist master. The Daga Dzong was traditionally the stronghold of the Daga Penlop who held the rank of cabinet minister under the Desi (temporal ruler) system og government introduced by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel in 1651.
Druk Namgyel who was under the order of Zhabdrung Ngaw .... Read More »
Dogar Dobji Zhong is considered to be the first model Dzong in Bhutan. The name Dogar, which means white bolder, is a reference to the “Five White Bolders” in the village of Dogar. The Dzong as built in 1531 by Ngawang Chogyal, the brother of Chojie Drukpa kuenley, who is popularly known as the “Divine Madman”. Legend has it that Ngawang Chogyal has followed the spring originating below the throne of jetsun Milarepa in Tibet. The source of the spring was found to be a rock located on the curre .... Read More »
Located in the Phondey village, Paro, the Dzong is built on the summit of a rocky hill that rises step on three sides. And is accessible only from one side which is defended by 3 prominent towers. The Dzong guards the approach to Paro Valley from Tibet.
Drukgyal Dzong means the “fortress of the victorious Drukpas”. Drukgyal Dzong is one of the four principal Dra Dzongs (defense fortress). The other defense fortress are the Gasa Trashi Thongmon Dzong, Haa Damthang Dzong and Li .... Read More »
Gasa Dzong is the administrative headquarter of Gasa Dzongkhag. The Dzong was named after its protector Trashi Thongmoen. Legend believes that Zhabdrung who was greeted by deity of Gasa when he made his way to Bhutan gave the name of the deity. The Dzong was often called Garsa Dzong, which means “the land of Black Smith.” It refers to the Tekhungpa who was skilled in iron works and worked in the area.
Every year in the last week of the 10th month Bhutanese calendar, Drapai L .... Read More »
The Haa Dzong was started in 1895 after the appointment of the first Drungpa. The Dzong was intended to be a centre to address the affairs of the people and a defense against Tibetan attack given its proximity to the border. Oral tradition believes that the Dzong was built to hold back the evil influence s of the serpent deities on the lives of the people and their livestock. The local believes that there are 108 serpent deities around the area. Some of the Chorpens (stupas), which were built .... Read More »